sâmbătă, 29 iunie 2019

Review: White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black // Recenzie


  Read in English       Citește în română

Title: White Cat 
Genre: YA, fantasy
Publishing House: Orion
Date of publication: 2010
Number of pages: 310
Rating:
I bought the book from Okian.
''I'm fine," I say. "Don't I seem fine?"
''You're covered in blood standing in the middle of a party" Sam says. "No, you don't seem fine."

            

  White Cat is a book which starts with an interesting premise: ''You're only a finger tip away from another world" and I have to say that this book does deliver, because when you open it, you'll find yourself in an universe where wizards are seen as criminals, and magic roams the streets freely.
''But I didn't do anything wrong."
Which is stupid, of course. Things don't happen to people because they deserve them. Besides, I've done plenty wrong. 
     The main character is a liar, and he is very good at it. Lying is the only way he found to prevent his life from falling apart. At school, he is a regular student, and that's all he wants to be. But at home, he is the grandson of a death worker, the brother of a memory worker and the son of an emotional worker. He is the only one of his family who can't do magic.


     And that makes this book unlike any other that I've read so far: unique types of magic, constructed amazingly well. For example, a memory worker can erase memories of a person or replace them with others, which is pretty cool if you don't count that every time he does that, one of his own memories fades out. Besides, in Holly Black's United States, magic is prohibited, and that makes everything so much more exciting.
It takes a lot of effort to pretend you're something you're not. I don't think about what music I like; I think about what music I should like. When I had a girlfriend, I tried to convince her I was the guy she wanted me to be. When I'm in a crowd, I hang back until I can figure out how to make them laugh. Luckily, if there's one thing I'm good at, it's faking and lying.
    White Cat is absolutely not the type of book that will bore you to death. Just imagine that it starts with a guy on a roof, who has no idea how he got there, and that's the point from which things only get more and more confusing. There are also a lot of plot twist, some of  them I did expect, but that didn't bother me at all, on the contrary, I was happy that the story went as I thought it should. 
     White Cat IS the type of book that everybody should read in a boring summer night, because it will teleport you in another world, full of magic and mystery, with flawed characters that you'll fall in love with. I can't wait to put my hands on the second novel.

br />


Share:

0 comentarii:

Trimiteți un comentariu